|“||Just because a company pulls a plug out of a game, doesn't mean it has to die.||”|
Club Penguin Rewritten is a popular remake of the online-based, massively multiplayer role-playing game, Club Penguin. Since its launch on February 11, 2017, Club Penguin Rewritten has accumulated over 5 million users.
On February 26, 2018, it was announced the game would be closed on March 4, 2018. However, exactly one month later, the game was announced to be relaunching sometime in April 2018. As of April 26, 2018, the game has been up and active.
After the announcement of the imminent closure of Club Penguin, Club Penguin Rewritten was founded to preserve and bring life back to the game that was a part of many childhoods.
Club Penguin Rewritten (CPR) is an unofficial recreation of the original Club Penguin, created to replicate the experience. It is based on the Generation 1-2 era (2005 - 2008 / 2008 - 2012), and thus it uses the same style and design. Club Penguin Rewritten strives to be accurate and true to the original and classic Club Penguin, but it also adds new content to improve the experience of the game as well.
Item Transfer Program
There was also an Item Transfer program that would transfer a player's original Penguin Age from Club Penguin over to a penguin from Club Penguin Rewritten, and give party hats according to the age of the original penguin. It was due to last until Club Penguin closed, but it only lasted from March 22, 2017 to March 23, 2017 (approximately a full day) due to Disney's discovery of the program. The program was originally meant to transfer all items from Club Penguin, but this was decided against by the community in a Twitter poll as penguins from Club Penguin with hacked items would also be transferred.
After only 30 days, the game gained 10,000 registered accounts and had its own wiki. The site reached 50,000 registered accounts on April 2, 2017, and reached 100,000 registered accounts only three days later, on April 5, 2017.
The site was down from April 14, 2017 to April 19, 2017 before being re-opened. A password change option was also made available which the Club Penguin Rewritten Team recommended using.
Legal Issues and Temporary Shutdown
On October 10, 2017, Disney Interactive filed a complaint against Club Penguin Rewritten. Due to this, the game's domain had to be changed which took place five days later on October 15, 2017.
On January 3, 2018 and January 19, 2018 through January 21, 2018, the website was closed for maintenance.
On February 21, 2018, it was announced that Club Penguin Rewritten was going to be shut down because of threats, but the following day it was announced that the game was going to continue. Additionally, control of the @CPRewritten Twitter account was regained.On February 26, 2018, it was confirmed that Club Penguin Rewritten would shut down on March 4, 2018 and would not come back. This would mean that the website, the game, account data, and more would be removed permanently, with all important information such as emails and passwords being wiped for security reasons. On March 4, 2018, Club Penguin Rewritten was discontinued at around 14:00 Penguin Standard Time.
Relaunch and Present
On April 4, 2018, It was confirmed that Club Penguin Rewritten would be returning in April 2018 via their Twitter. It was also confirmed that all user accounts would remain intact at relaunch.
On April 26, 2018, Club Penguin Rewritten officially relaunched, with all accounts intact, and the Earth Day Party 2018 going on.
The site reached 2,000,000 registered accounts on June 2, 2018. As a gift, two codes were released.
The site reached 3,000,000 registered accounts on January 11, 2019.
The site reached 4,000,000 registered accounts on April 20, 2019.
The site reached 5,000,000 registered accounts on October 22, 2019.
On July 27, 2017, Club Penguin Rewritten suffered a DDoS attack. This led to server maintenance from July 27, 2017 through around mid-August.
In January 2018, Club Penguin Rewritten suffered a database breach, affecting almost 1.7 million unique email addresses alongside IP addresses, usernames and passwords stored.
On July 27, 2019, exactly two years after the 2017 DDoS attack, Club Penguin Rewritten suffered a database breach affecting over 4 million accounts. Following this, the Staff released an announcement on the website.
- Club Penguin Rewritten was originally planned to just be an archive for Club Penguin accounts.
- DJ Maxx, Rory, and Jet Pack Guy were made as mascots exclusive to Club Penguin Rewritten as custom content.
- There were parties that were announced prior to the unexpected closure message, the party that was supposed to be taking place after the Penguin Play Awards 2018 was the Puffle Party 2018 which was supposed to begin on March 7, 2018, but instead, it was replaced by the Waddle On Party due to the game's closure. However, due to the game's relaunch, the Puffle Party 2018 was continued on May 9, 2018 until May 16, 2018.
- ↑ https://community.cprewritten.net/2017/02/23/club-penguin-rewritten-beta-party-over/
- ↑ https://twitter.com/CPRewritten/status/827127314139983872
- ↑ https://community.cprewritten.net/announcement.php
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20180519145753/https:/twitter.com/CPRewritten/status/915730546956759040?lang=en
- ↑ https://i.imgur.com/CdmTcEC.png
- ↑ https://twitter.com/CPRewritten/status/981570451121098752
- ↑ https://twitter.com/CPRewritten/status/1003061060021211138
- ↑ https://twitter.com/CPRewritten/status/890676537510436865
- ↑ https://imgur.com/YAkbIhk
- ↑ https://twitter.com/haveibeenpwned/status/1156208124493123585
- ↑ https://cprewritten.net/announcement.html
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z62rJloM9U&t=1h39m42s