In Bean Counters, the player must move bags of java beans. They move using the mouse and have three lives to start. The bags are thrown out of a truck on the right side of the screen, and must be caught and moved to the platform on the left side of the screen. The player can hold up to five bean bags before collapsing and losing a life. Once the player places the required amount of java bean bags on the platform, they will move on to the next level. Each level is faster, harder, and requires more bags than the last. After completing level 5, the game will end and the player will receive a 60 coin bonus.
Starting from level two, obstacles will appear. If the player is hit by one of these obstacles, they will lose a life. The first obstacle is an anvil, which always lands near the truck. After that comes a fish, which lands by the platform, and finally flowerpots that fall in the middle. Among these obstacles is a star with a penguin's face on it, which gives the player an extra life.
Similar to Pizzatron 3000, if the player clicks on a seam in the bag on the title screen, they will unlock extreme mode. Extreme mode replaces the java beans with jellybeans, and requires the player to only place certain colors of jellybean bags on the platform and throw the others back into the truck.
- A bean counter is an accountant that does not like to spend money.
- Extreme mode is more difficult than normal mode, but gives more coins.
- Whenever you play the Extreme level, you will only be rewarded one coin at the end if you earn more than 900 points.
- There used to be a glitch when the game would have a white screen, forcing you to reload the page and log back into the game. This glitch was patched.
- There used to be a glitch where if you go to igloo while standing on Bean Counters you can exit the game with the points you have and every time you do you get infinite coins